Saturday, March 5, 2011

Happy 12 years

This weekend we celebrate 12 years of life for my bro, Mark. 
No, he is older than 12 years old
(going on 40, actually, my baby brother, can't believe it)

This weekend, 12 years ago, Mark was bitten by a snake
a Gabon viper
(deadly motherf&#$er with 2 inch long fangs)
while walking in his flip flop to a friends' house in their village in W Africa
Within a few minutes, the venom starting doing its thing
and Mark was hurt. 
badly hurt.
He emailed me a few days later to say that he *thought* a scorpion bit him
but no big deal
he'll be fine.
I still remember reading that email in my office at work
and thinking, "scorpion??  'I'll be fine'??"
this doesn't sound good 

and it wasn't

but, Mark was healthy and lucky and tall.
Snake only got one fang in and it was on his foot, 
so the venom had a long way to travel to his heart.
Months of recovery
including returning home and getting discharged from the peace corps.
Mark decided not to go out on that note.

So, he headed back to Mali,
back in the peace corps
perhaps, slightly, because of a certain young, sweet thing who was there too.
He finished out his time there, and even extended it.
Came back to the US to continue on his do-gooder-ness here.

And now, today, he's back living overseas.
Again with that certain young, sweet thing whom he has since married
(who has an affinity for sunglasses found on trains, 
and wild children,
but not dogs
or things made of plastic)

So, here's to Mark
and Aisha too.
I think about them every day 
wondering how Palestine is treating them
and how they are treating Palestine.

I can't wait to get over there and see for myself.



6 comments:

  1. Wow, he sounds like a superhero! I love how you describe him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 12 years indeed! He sounds like a perfect brother. Are you going??!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! I don't know when or how or with whom, but I will go there. I never visited Mark in Mali and I soooooo regret that now. They will be there for 4 years, so I have some time to figure it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for featuring me in your blog and for not refuting Green Girl's description of me as a "superhero" or Stephanie's observation that I am a "perfect brother." As for your visit, you are welcome anytime! Come early. Come often!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I reserve the right to refute anytime.
    You're not off the hook that easily.

    p.s. Breaking news, Mlark. The Haze is closed. Alex is bummed. "That was really fun," he said, sadly.

    ReplyDelete