Tuesday, September 21, 2010

happy (belated) birthday post

My number 2 son turned 7 in August, and we had a birthday party fit for a king that day.  Two is all about the glitz and glam.  He says he's living in a mansion when he grows up (complete with a gold fountain and a bowling alley and a butler).  I knew he would be tickled by a fancy, schmancy birthday party, so we arranged for a limo to pick him and his 10 or so closest friends.  I wanted to get the biggest limo -- only a stretch SUV for my boy!  Best of all, it was a surprise.

So, to set the stage, my parents came over to give Two his b'day presents late in the afternoon of his birthday.  I'm not sure what he thought was happening after the presents (he's a bit of a blond, my number 2, which I can say since I'm literally and figuratively a bit of a blond at times too).  After ripping through the presents, we sat, waiting, in the living room.  Two never asked what we were waiting for (??), while One (who had been clued in) and I kept checking the street.  Finally, it arrived.  Ta Da!!!!!!

 We rushed outside and said, "surprise!!!!!!" and Two got a little flustered and ran back inside to get his shoes but also to compose himself.  He won't admit it, but I could tell he was overwhelmed and was blinking back tears.  I hugged him inside, said "this is for YOU today.  Enjoy and happy birthday!!"  I was so glad to give him this gift.  As a middle child myself, I'm a bit sensitive to the middle/overlooked child thing that tends to happen.  But anyways, I digress...  Back to the limo...


 Our driver, Curtis, was very polite and seemed unflustered as he drove through windy Madison streets that were certainly not designed with a stretch limo in mind. 



Not a great picture, but it captures the mood.  Kids were excited.


 The limo slowly filled up.  We snaked around the streets of Madison, picking up kids here and there, shouting out "goodbye dahling!" to the parents as we drove away.  Many of the parents took pictures of their kids as they were getting in.  Seems everyone was excited about this party.


 It was crazy.  Lots of laughing and loud music.  And then, the mood got strange.  I think they were hungry and thirsty (I didn't think to pack water or juice for the drive - my bad, I'd highly recommend that for any of you considering this as a birthday party), and all of sudden, things got a little ugly.  Bickering, which looked like it could quickly escalate to an all and out brawl.  I started a "who can be quiet longest contest" figuring it could buy me one or two minutes.  Somehow, it worked much better than I thought and it got us past the ugly mood and to the park in one piece. 

We arrived at the park to eat pizza and cake, open presents, and play on the playground equipment.  One had football practice, so he and I tooled over to that in the limo, while Bob and a sweet friend who was helping chaperone managed things at the park.  The party ended well -- kids got good and worn out in the hot afternoon sun at the park.  The mosquitoes were briefly fierce, but we were armed with bug spray.  They drank and ate every last bit of what I brought.  We drove home as the sun was setting, and the cool a/c from the limo was appreciated.  We cranked the music, said goodbye to each child at their houses, and ended up back home just before bedtime. 

2 comments:

  1. This was the best idea! So glad you had such a good time. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool treat for your son! I bet NONE of his pals ever forget it , either!

    ReplyDelete