Tuesday, October 20, 2009

apple picking

Yesterday was a GLORIOUS day. Finally, we had average temps and sunshine, so I decided it would be a perfect day to take the boys apple picking. It's one of my favorite activities of the year.

(I'm still trying to figure out how to post pictures to this thing, so these are out of order)

Here is Enzo, barefoot, trying to plant a stick into the dirt. This is one of his favorite activities lately. Love.

Finn asked me to take a picture of the sheep on the hillside. The apple farmers also raise the sheep for their wool, which they spin into yarn and then sell in their shop. I think they may also sell the meat.

And, here are the boys, trucking up the big hill on the way to pick apples. We picked 4 bags, which will be transformed into apple sauce once I get a going in the kitchen.
I just love this orchard (Door Creek Orchard outside of Cottage Grove). It's my secret dream to own this place to live here and sell apples. It seems like such a sweet life. I was talking with the owner -- not disclosing my secret -- and he and his wife have owned it for 26 years. The house on grounds, which looks lovely from the outside, was built in 1860 and it used to be a Norweigian dairy farm with about 40 head of cattle. Sure seems like the good life.

(by the way, how does one spell "norweigian"?)

3 comments:

  1. Sharing. Such a nice thing to do. Will you be sharing any of the apple sauce with family and an in-law? Willit be ready for transport by November 2?

    Your boys are cute and look like ahrd workers. That enzo confuses me though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to share. look for a care package in November. interested in limoncello too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes. I hope Enzo will not make a habit out of wrapping things around himself and falling out of windows. Tell him aunt Aisha is sending him something special: healing vibes.

    ReplyDelete