Tuesday, March 30, 2010

it's spring break!

reporting in mid-week spring break briefly (or not-so-briefly, as it turns out)--

I am packing, packing, packing - getting ready for our little trip up to a waterpark in the dells with some neighbors. It's the easiest vacation ever, because we share a condo and share meal duties and the kids amuse themselves quite well. This is our (let's see...) 4th year going. Yeah, that's right! Wow, nice tradition we have, now that I think about it! A couple of years ago, while we were there on Three's b'day, we left in the middle of a HUGE snowstorm. In fact, much of our group decided to delay their return because of the storm. This week? Sunny and 70's! The kids are hoping the outdoor water stuff will be open (ha! - now that's a true Wisconsin kid!).

In other news, One lost his glasses on Sunday, which resulted in a (now) hilarious search effort, including me deciding they must have fallen down a heating vent. I plotted and planned how to extract them from the vent, and my dear dad even came over to figure this out. I fashioned a fishing line out of string and a beaded wire handle from a gift bag. I tap-tap-tapped on the pipe, certain I could hear the glasses rattling around in there. Finally, with the use of a strong flashlight and my dad's handy little mirror, I could see 2 stories down into the basement and ... no glasses. In a last ditch effort to find them before concluding they MUST HAVE been thrown away, One moved the couch away from the wall in the den and ... GLASSES!

In other news, PT is amazing. I have been faithfully doing my exercises, and my knee is definitely feeling better. Take THAT, Mark - Mr. "you aren't just going to tough it out"? Nope, no toughing it out for me. I am excited to return to the PT this Friday and hopefully hear her earlier thought of a torn meniscus was wrong, given my amazing recovery.

On Sunday, we went to my nephew's 8 year b'day party. It was the typical affair -- grandparents and cousins abounding, good food and a clever cake. I had a very nice time. Good chat with my older bro, whom, I realize, doesn't get much air time in my life. I should work on that, because lately we've carved out a decent little relationship (we bonded over our injuries - my knee and his ankle - and PT - my success and his not-so-much). I saw lots of evidence again at how smart and good my 2 nieces and 2 nephews are. Glad my kids have them as cousins. And boy is it easy nowadays, without a baby or toddler to chase after. I pretty much set them free and saw them as infrequently as possible. Happy day for us all.

And lastly, for anyone still reading this fascinating report, One and I had a fun, unexpected afternoon on Saturday. We got a hot tip from one of Two's friends that Greg Jennings (#85 Packers) was at a bowling alley in McFarland. Two didn't want to go unless he could go bowling (???), so One and I headed down. For the record, One was already wearing his Packers' stuff that day, as that if pretty much his uniform. Anyway, for $10, you could bowl one ball with Greg, and if you hit down more balls than him, you would get an autographed football. Greg knocked down 7 pins, and One hit down 8! Greg was very kind and soft-spoken and took his time to chat with One about tips for success in life (go to school, get good grades) and football (the key to success is in your heart, keep trying, don't give up, and if you make a mistake just try, try again). And then they posed for a picture:

OK, the children are getting restless. Three is running around naked. Two is bugging me to help him get packed. One is demanding breakfast. Off to tend to these demanding, rotten little kids. :) Happy spring break (or non-spring break) to you all!!!!


1 comment:

  1. He's one of the good ones, isn't he?
    Happy breaking! The Dells is a good place for that. Leave the rest behind!
    Glad to hear the PT is going well.

    ReplyDelete