Wednesday, May 25, 2011

the unexpected and the plan

Home sick with Three.  He was complaining of a hurt tummy on the drive to school.  I didn't believe that he was sick.  He then vomited all over the car.  That was when I decided to believe him.

He's such a sweet boy, even when sick, even when vomiting.  He takes care of it himself - running to the closest toilet or sink, or even outside.  He doesn't even complain much.  I just told him it was "rest time", and he's now settling down for a little nap.  The breathing is getting slower.  The body is stilled.  I am considering curling up next to him for a snooze too.

I've enjoyed my unexpected day home today.  The house is clean.  Bedsheets are changed.  Laundry is done.  Roku is installed.  Meals are planned for the rest of the week.  I may bake cookies too.  It's a cold and rainy day chez mooncrawl.  Feels like a good day to work in the kitchen.

I went to a parent mtg last night at One's current school, which will also be Two's school next year (it's a 3-5 grade school).  This was an orientation mtg for parents of incoming 3rd graders.  I went not expecting much, figuring I knew it all already.  I know where the art room is and that they have 2 specials/day and that this gym is for lunch and that gym is for, well, gym.  I was surprised and pleased to realize I didn't learn any of that.  Instead, the principal (in his second year here) held a great discussion about the culture of the school and his philosophy on how to shape the environment to one that will be best for all students.  He talked a lot about choice theory, which basically says that all human beings make decisions based on fulfilling one of the following needs: fun, freedom, belonging, power, or survival.  Mr. Principal explained that he met with representatives from all of the classrooms to come up with common values they all shared for their school (to treat others with respect, for example).  When there are problems, he talks with the student(s) not about whether they broke the rules or not, but whether their actions are meeting the common values that they all share.  He helps them think about it by considering which need they are trying to meet.

What a compelling discussion.  I couldn't help but think that I'd like to incorporate this around here a bit more.  I'm feeling we're a bit of a runaway train, racing down the tracks, not under any control of an engineer.  Our waters have been a bit choppy lately.  We, Bob and I, as captains, have to right our ship.  (yes, I do love to mix my metaphors.)  I talked with Bob a bit about this on the phone today, and he got inspired too.

So, we have a plan.  We are going to head out this weekend for a day away to a nearby park (Devil's Lake!!  Holla!!!).  We'll pack a picnic lunch.  We'll hike and rock climb and when the children are all good and physically worn out, we're going to have a family meeting about this very topic.  What are our common values that we share as a family?  What is our culture?  I'll make a list.  I'll post it at home.

I'm encouraged about our plan.

p.s.  I know I have some loose threads out there - football drama, sweet surprise in my mailbox.  I'll get to them, promise.

3 comments:

  1. Your plan sounds excellent. I hope you'll share how it goes. Maybe we'll see you at Devil's Lake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your plan! I'll stay posted!

    ReplyDelete