Monday, May 2, 2011

The end of an era...

Hi folks,

My beloved grandmother died on Saturday, April 30.  Although she was recently receiving hospice services, no one expected her to die that day.  In fact, she died during "hymn sing" (which had to be explained to me - they sit in a room and sing hymns together, I have gathered).  (and, for what it's worth, I don't want to have to sing hymns if/when I'm in a nursing home - rather, how about endless runnings of the terrible reality shows that I love to watch?  Real Housewives?  The Bachelor?  we could even go old skool with Real World.  Are you with me, people?)

My mom called me right away and I tracked down my dad at the Habitat for Humanity jobsite he has been volunteering at for the past year of so.  I then rushed on over to her room at Oakwood.  I found myself listening to the new Paul Simon album over and over all day long.  It's a wonderful album, but it will forever be twinged with the sadness of that day.

I was fortunate enough to be able to sit with my aunt and parents in the room with my grandmother's body that morning. We had a mini bedside service.  The staff said very sweet things about my grandma.  My mom and aunt thanked the staff for their care and compassion to her over the past year.  I was in awe (again) of the folks that do that very basic human-care work.  The CNA's, the preschool teachers - those who serve our most fragile and precious people.  It takes a special person (and one who doesn't expect a big paycheck).  I am grateful that those folks exist.

I want to capture my thoughts about my grandma, but not now.  Instead, for anyone interested in reading more about them (and other interesting and brilliantly written stories), please check out my brother's blog: Unimpossible Life  (For those of you keeping score at home, this is my brother Mark who has recently relocated to Palestine.)

Although very sad, I keep finding myself feeling thanks for having such a rich and full relationship with my grandmother.  She was an amazing woman and a dear person to me.  I love her to bits, and I hope she is now with my grandfather and the rest of her family, whom she's been missing.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry. That's tough when it's so unexpected. But you're right to feel grateful for her life.
    And I've always wondered why our nursing homes insist on making people watch the boring Catholic channel and not DVDs of old sitcoms like I Love Lucy. Amen.

    ReplyDelete