Saturday, January 29, 2011

Statistics and Home and Charlie Sheen

I just found the statistics info on my blog-thing.  How interesting to see how many (few) people look at this little blog and to see where they come from/how they find me!  And to see which posts get the most views - though that info is probably skewed because on particularly boring (pre-work) days, I would re-read my posts for lame entertainment.  Please tell me I'm not the only one who does that.

I suppose these statistics would be more interesting if I had more readers, which would mean that I would have to come out of the closet about this little blog.  Very few people in my life know about it.  I'm sort of embarrassed by it.  Why?  Don't know.  Anyone else ever feel embarrassed by their blog?

We had tentative plans to go to a beer/cheese show (how Wisconsin can you get?) today with another couple.  Our kids were going to be babysat together by some poor teenager.  Unfortunately, Bob is still sick and not up for beer and cheese.  And, quite honestly, I was having a little bit of sticker shock at the admission price ($40 apiece).  So, quiet day planned instead.  I would like to run some errands, since all of my errand-running time is now gone.  On my list is:

     1.  KOH lye, to make liquid soap
     2.  more yarn, to finish that scarf
     3.  citric acid, for the tonic I plan to make
     4.  a soap mold, for solid soap making.

Isn't that exciting?

I had 3 small world experiences yesterday, all within the span of about 5 minutes, all within my 2nd grader's classroom.  So, let me summarize...  I mentioned to one of the teachers (it's a combined classroom with 42 kids and 2 wonderful teachers) that Three is attending his preK program nearby at a small catholic school.  She said, "my husband went to school there!"  I said, "my father went to school there!"  She asked my maiden name, and then said, "are you related to Julie N"?  I said, probably - pretty uncommon name and if she's a near-west side Madisonian, then yup, I bet we're related.  Later confirmed with my mom that she is some distant cousin.

Then, a moment later, I was chatting with the other teacher, and she referenced how her Aunt Jean and my mom went to college together.  I knew that already - in fact, Jean is my brother's godmother - but this is small-world connection #2.

THEN, a moment later, I was stuffing take-home folders, and I read the introduction letter from the new student teacher.  I recognized HER last name as being my grandmother's maiden name.  I approached her and asked about relatives of hers.  She told me her grandparents' names.  Came home, checked with my mom, and yes indeed - we're distant cousins!

So, even though winter sucks and I wonder how many more of these I can endure, I can't leave this town.  It is home.

And to randomly wrap up this already random post - it's about damn time Charlie Sheen enters rehab.  That man needs some serious help.

2 comments:

  1. 2 posts in 2 days! Love it. :) beer and cheese show sounds like an invitation to naptime to me. do they provide cots? Hope Bob is better soon.

    stats are fun but they can also drive you crazy if you let them. don't. :) Most people read through feed readers anyways so that kind of skews things. (I only click over if I have the energy to comment but I read every post you write.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy small town!
    I'm glad you got things done. And I bet you'll get some beer and cheese soon, despite your plans being shot by your husband feeling bad. (Mine was sick this weekend too! How strange!)
    I do always enjoy random posts!

    ReplyDelete