Monday, January 10, 2011

Packers and love

So, yesterday I had a lovely little mom-son moment that I loved, loved, loved.  Remember how we started that parent/child date idea last year?  One and I were scheduled for a date night in November (he doesn't want me to call it a date - he calls it a "thingy", I call it a date).  Anyway, we got behind with our trip out east and the holidays and life, so last week I said, "we're going out on our date next weekend."  He replied, "I want to go the The Haze and eat a pulled pork sandwich and watch the Packers with you."  I said, "yum!  Let's do it!"


(The Haze is a new restaurant/bar downtown that he discovered on a night out with Uncle Mark and Aunt Aisha.  I think he was as tickled about going out with them solo as he was about the sandwich and atmosphere and he wanted to relieve it.)


So, after canceling my appearance at bookclub last night (oops), he and I headed out.  Turns out The Haze was closed, so we headed down the street to The Great Dane, which is a happening little spot that brews their own beer and makes good food and has lots of tv's tuned to the football game.  


We found a spot at the bar, decided we'd wait until halftime to order our food, and got a couple of beers on tap (rootbeer for him, Scotch Ale - yummy - for moi).  Shortly after the game started, a woman sat next to One and started talking with us.  I could see he was enormously uncomfortable with this stranger talking to him, plus annoyed someone was distracting him from the big game.  She appeared to be maybe a little bit crazy and perhaps a little bit drunk too but probably overall harmless.  Anyway, after complimenting him on his glasses and noting how much he seemed to understand the game (she had no clue that she was sitting next to the world's biggest 10 year old Packers fan), she asked him his name.  "ahhh, ummm, (pause) my name is Mark."  (not his name - but the name of his favorite uncle - see 2nd paragraph above)  She said, "that's not your name" and looked to me for confirmation.  I just smiled and nodded.  After a bit, we got up to go to the bathroom and I "accidently" sat in his seat when we returned.  She said, "you sat there on purpose because Mark didn't want to sit next to me anymore."  For being a bit crazy and drunk, she was very perceptive.


Anyway, she eventually moved to a different spot at the bar and we were able enjoy the game in peace.  And enjoy we did!  My little One just beamed when the crowd cheered the good moments.  We sat at the edge of our seats near the end when the tide almost shifted, and we jumped up and cheered when they won.  And I thought, "there is no where else I want to be right now."  His sweet little smiley face looked up at me with such joy.  I will never forget it.  


On the way home, One said, "thanks for driving me to the restaurant, mom.  Thanks for buying my food.  (pause)  Thanks for spending time with me."  With a melting heart, I grabbed his hand and kissed it.  Of course, my love.  

3 comments:

  1. I loved this. Thanks for sharing it. I want to date nights with my kids. (and my husband!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool mom you are Teek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww....that is so cool.

    ReplyDelete