Tuesday, January 12, 2010

on relationships

thoughts mulling around my head lately:
  • On Saturday, I took the Alex, Finn and L, a friend, to a children's museum a couple of hours away. I unexpectedly ran into one of my favorite people in the world there (I LOVE it when that happens, which is NEVER!), and we had a lovely day inside a fun, warm building. On the drive home, the backseat successfully lobbied for a sleepover with L, which just extended the fun. As I listened to the chatter and laughter from the backseat, my heart was so light and happy. This friend is so great to both of my kids, although really more a friend to Alex. And, she's a GIRL. Alex has had a rocky relationship with a kid in the neighborhood, and, after this superlong playdate with L, he and I talked about how this friendship is different than the rocky neighborhood relationship. It felt good to process with him how we should nurture healthy relationships and leave behind the unhealthy ones. Plus, I am just tickled that my boys still play with girls, and vice versa. And, I have to add, I'm pleased that Alex and L included Finn on everything without my encouragement. I am so happy when these boys of mine get along.

  • Not to be left out of the friend-fun, Enzo had two (!) playdates with a friend last week. Same friend -- one at our house and the other at his house. It was such a highlight for my little boy. When we were waiting for the friend's mom to come, I said, "Enzo, I'm SO excited for you!" He replied, "I so exited for YOU, mom, and I so excited for JR." I am really enjoying watching him develop friendships and start to figure his little way out in the world.
  • Bob and I recently had a little rough patch. All is well now (which, of course, is why I can blog about it). During the 2 days of trouble between us (felt like an eternity), we just stopped talking -- probably, no certainly, because I stopped talking with him. Anyway, when we resumed communicating, we resolved it all within a half-hour. Serves as a good reminder to me that our relationship works best when we are able to talk -- about the important and the trivial. He has been busy working long hours, I've been going to bed early to read or knit (mainly because it's the only warm place in the house at night), and we haven't had much time together. We need to keep talking to stay connected.
  • And lastly, Enzo and I visited my grandma today. I am so very thankful that all of my children have a relationship with her. Enzo, especially, brings a smile to her face, which I think is a rarity these days. (my poor grandma, I could post for pages about how sad I am for her.) Anyway, we had some sweet moments where she asked him how old he is ("three and a HALF" he proudly responded), and she replied, "well, what are you going to do with that half?" I don't know if he understood the question, but he threw back his head and laughed and laughed like it was the funniest thing. This made all three of us laugh. Another tender moment was when Enzo offered Grandma to take some gum that I was handing out, and then he proceeded to teach her how to chew it. I don't think she was putting him on; I think she truly didn't know what to do with the gum. She didn't like it but thanked him for "an interesting experiment". I love my grandma so much, and I'm thankful that Enzo and I have the opportunity to visit her.

No comments:

Post a Comment