Tuesday, November 10, 2009

lovely little things

This picture was taken when we were apple picking about a month ago. This reminds me that I have another bushel of apples to make into sauce. We drove back out there this past weekend to pick more, but alas, self-pick was closed for the year. I bought a bushel of Jonamac apples, which I will combine with a bag of Empires that we haven't eaten yet (from the month-ago trip), and hopefully we will have enough sauce for winter. We do love our apple sauce.

I want this blog to remind me of little moments that I'm afraid I'll forget in the blur of daily life. So, here's an attempt to record one or two.

Finn's take home journal, which we get every Friday (he writes in it and then we write back over the weekend), has contained the sweetest little notes to, well, everyone in the family. To Dash the doggy, he wrote "you mack me hape" (happy). To me, he wrote, "I lov having a dog" and "I hop (hope) you hav a god lif" (good life). He can be quite the tenderheart underneath all that boyness.

Yesterday, when I told Enzo that we were going to stay at the playground to play for a bit afterschool, he jumped up for joy and said, "you got the power, mom!" Also, yesterday Enzo painted a couple of notes for his brothers and had me write what the notes said. Basically, he was telling them that they were his best friends, he was proud of them, and he loved them (well, technically, he loves Alex and likes Finn).

As far as Alex goes, I don't have one specific anecdote, which, I suppose, is a bit reflective of his age. But lately, I have been overwhelmingly proud of how well he is doing in and out of school. He seems to have adjusted to the transition of 3rd grade very, very well. He is a smart and kind kid. I got him to sit on my lap the other night as a joke, and I found myself getting a little teary eyed. My little baby is gone. I feel like he's on the brink of some big developmental changes (wanting more privacy with his body, being more private about his life, thinking that Bob and I are kind of dorky and annoying) -- all normal pre-teen stuff, I know. I will love that journey too but I can't believe how fast the time has flown.

It's all good. It macks me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment