Saturday, June 11, 2011

sweetness

Remember  my reference to a very, very bad week around here, and then a very, very sweet surprise that totally lifted my spirits?  Well, here's an (edited) account.

So, it was rough, I mean r.o.u.g.h., around here, people.  We had one very distressed and distraught boy which turned our whole world upside down.  I am able to blog, however carefully, about it because it seems like we (meaning, We the Parents) have a better handle on things and we (meaning, we the affected family members) have started working with a very skilled and capable therapist.  I am purposefully vague but will just say that I am so thankful, so very thankful, for good insurance and good mental health providers.  We were able to be seen quickly, and I feel like our concerns have been heard.

Reminds me of something a wise friend told me years ago - waaaaay before I ever had children (she had 2).  You can only be as happy as your saddest child.  So true.  So very true.  

Sadly, the same week our shit was hitting the fan, a friend's long-term beau committed suicide.  It's a complicated situation, to say the least, but it certainly hit a little too close to home for me.  I have been unable to give my friend much support since I'm feeling pretty fragile still myself.  From a distance (emails, letters) I've reached out.  Soon I will call her.  As the home front here is looking more stable, I certainly want to offer support to my very dear and very sad friend.  

So, those two events, as well as listening to peoples tragic tales all day at work (and there are plenty of folks in my town who would love to have my problems, I get that), I was feeling pretty drained.  It was the longest week in history, and I was crawling to the moon, so to speak.  Just working to get to Friday, where I would be off for some me-time with some friends.  Margaritas on the patio.  Dancing and singing and laughing and forgetting, for a moment, all the troubles.  Inch by inch, I made it to Friday.  I came home, wearily checked my mail, and lo and behold, a lovely and unexpected gift was waiting for me.

Ta Da!!!!!!!!!!!!!


My sweet blog-friend Stephanie at Built To Last started making these hand-stamped charms (charms?  pendants?).  She gave excellent step-by-step directions which totally went over my head.  On her own, no prompting from me, she made one with my three boys' names on it, along with a lovely little blue bead.  And delivered it to my house.

I have not stopped wearing it since.  I have been coveting these on etsy for months (years?), but they are pricey!  And, like I told Two yesterday (who was hitting me up for money), I'm just a social worker.  No big bucks in my pay check!  Gotta watch the bottom line!

I'm not a real religious person, but every time I think about this situation, I think that must have been the hand of God there, giving me a lift when I needed it most.

Thank you, Stephanie.  This charm is more meaningful than maybe you know.  It symbolizes that there can been light found even in a very dark time.  There can be hope during despair.

2 comments:

  1. You are so very welcome. I am so glad it helped brighten a dark week. I agree...must have been the hand of God. :)

    I am so glad stuff is getting worked out with your boy. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a gift and what timing! Amen!

    ReplyDelete