Friday, June 24, 2011

June 24

Lots to report on in these parts.

Two's football team (the Packers!) had a marathon of a spring tourney last Saturday.  Kids started at 8:45 am.  Double elimination.  They won the first game handily.  Got creamed the second game.  Had to keep fighting to stay alive, and fight they did.  They ended up making it to the championship game and played the team that creamed them earlier.  By this time, Two's team had played 5 games, non-stop.  The Rams (opposing team) had only played two and had plenty of time for breaks in between.  It was a decent fight but in the end, the Rams were the victors.  The Packers got medals for their effort and lots of pats on the back and congratulations from all of us parents (who were also exhausted by cheering and running back and forth to the nearby Walgreens to buy popsicles, ice, gatorade, water, etc).  I was very proud of the whole team, including the coaches.  They played an entire season (6 games) on one very hot Saturday, and no one wanted to quit, no one cried when they lost.  They were good sports and learned lots about determination during that day.

I learned something too.  I'm still an idiot, because at age 42, I haven't figured out that I will sunburn when sitting outside for several hours even if I'm not at a pool.  I was lobster red by the end of the day, thanks to no sunscreen.  Dumb.  But!  It has developed into a nice tan (and possibly skin cancer too - I need to get a skin check soon).

We have had a very cool and wet summer so far.  Despite that, we have been to our pool 10 times, and that is not counting trips for swimming lessons.  The kids yesterday had their lessons while it was 59 degrees and raining.  What?  Yeah, that's right!  We are HARDCORE!

In other news, I rearranged my family room and living room.  In the process, I vacuumed and dusted and put all the miscellaneous crap away.  Love a clean, fresh house!

Also?  I mowed!  Love a freshly mowed lawn!

Kids are busy with their plans for a neighborhood waterpark they've developed with their best friends/neighbors.  It's called Slip Away (though one considered, then tossed out, name was Slip and Die - my favorite - isn't that the greatest thing you've ever heard?) and opening day is July 1.  There will be a slip and slide, sprinklers, a bodyguard, some live entertainment.  Admission fee is 50 cents on the first day, 75 cents every day thereafter.  They distributed fliers today to nearby kids, and they are hoping for a good turn-out.  I'm totally tickled by all of the effort they've put into this.

This is spearheaded by One, whose dream is to own and manage a hotel when he grows up.  Maybe it will be a waterpark hotel.

Our nanny is working out well, thankyouverymuch.  Bob and I had a "how do you think she's doing" talk last night, and while there are some things we'd like a bit different, overall, I totally trust the kids with her and know they are safe.  She has been great at getting them out of the house.  She is managing behavioral problems well as they pop up.  She feeds them and has even offered to help make dinners on those nights where we have stuff going on right in the evening.  So?  Nothing (really) to complain about.   I'll chat with her about my thoughts, and I'm sure it will be even better next week.

Tonight, we plan to go to the Drive-In to see Cars 2.  It's not the greatest weather (cool and damp) but I don't think the mosquitos are too bad yet.

The house is so quiet right now.  Kids are scattered playing - some here, some down the street.  I can only hear a mower in the distance and birds chirping.  No tv.  No video games.  No fighting.  Lovely.  I am breathing in and enjoying this moment.

2 comments:

  1. so good to hear about how you guys are doing. :) your quiet house sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Walter Mosley books. 102 at 8PM, I wouldn`t complain about it being in the 60`s. Those Packers got hosed! When I was younger we all wanted to play all day, not lounge around and take an easy win from a team that fought their way to the top!

    ReplyDelete