Monday, September 26, 2011

Mondays

The purpose of this post is to remind my future self what a typical day off, Monday, is like in my world these days.

6 am - Wake up, turn on tv, check the weather, see that it's raining.  Damn.  Worry that my children will get cold and wet on their travels to school.
6:20 am - Start to wake up the troops.  Get dressed and (cough) beautify (cough).
6:30 am - Head downstairs to work on breakfasts and lunches.  Hot lunch is a "disgusting" hot dog, so cold lunches all the way around.
6:35 am - Answer the phone.  It's Bob, sweetly checking in on how we're doing and making some grocery list suggestions.  In my kindest voice, I remind him that now is not a good time to chat, as, in my angry, mom voice, I yell at the kids to stop from harassing each other.  End the phone call shortly thereafter.
7:10 am - Walk the 2 oldest to the bus stop at the corner in the pouring rain.  Take the doggie along, who is none too happy to be in the rain.
7:20 am - after a brief chitchat with other bus stop moms, head back in to get Three ready for school.  Hold my breath, hoping for an easy transition.
7:30 am - drive Three to school, reminding him that he will go home after school with a friend.  Smile when he happily sees a friend from his class deboarding his bus.  Give him a hug and kiss and watch him bound into the school after his friend.
7:35 am - return home to grab my grocery list, overdue library books, mail to be mailed and items to be returned.
8 am to 9:30 am - listen to Pearl Jam on the Ipod as I leisurely grocery shop at Woodmans.  Smile at the regular shoppers and workers.  Feel accomplished that I have several meals in my cart.
9:30 am to 11 am - run errands.  Return unwanted clothing, socks, video games and shoes.  In turn, buy new clothing, plates, christmas gifts.
11 am - get home to put away groceries.  Greet Bob, who stopped home to pick something up.  Feel grateful that he pitches in to help put groceries away.
11:30 am - Chat briefly with my long-lost BFF T on her way to a meeting.  Make tentative plans to talk with her later, if her meeting runs short.  Then, clean bathrooms, clean out the car, do laundry.
12 pm - T calls again!  Talk for 25 lovely minutes, which is not long enough but will have to do for now.
12:25 pm - run over to One's school to pick him up for therapy appt.
1 pm to 2 pm - Participate in therapy with One.  Feel comfortable and supported by this therapist - so glad to have him.
2:10 pm - pick up Two and Three at a dear friend's house who agreed to watch them after school.  Take her middle child home with me to continue the playdate fun.
2:30 pm to 3:30 pm - make dinner.  Hand out snacks to hungry children.  Make some phone calls to family members in need.
3:30 pm  to 7:40 pm - Go to work and feel like I earned my paycheck today.  Challenging!
7:40 pm - return home to eat supper, greet my oldest boy, who happily informed me he is listening to Monday Night Football on the radio with his younger brother while Dad and Three are asleep upstairs.  Catch up on blogs, email, facebook.
9:00 pm - Sign off here and head up to bed.

1 comment:

  1. good Lord, woman. I am exhausted just reading this. There's lots of good mixed into these busy days, isn't there?

    I'd love to do a sunday at the museum! let's talk more soon. like on saturday? :)

    ReplyDelete