Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Tuesday

Short report today.
I had, seriously, one of the worst days of my life.
OK.
I said, "seriously", so that means "I'm not exaggerating" 
but I am
and I suppose it could have been a lot worse.
But still it was pretty damn sucky.

My Three proved his "I hate school" point today in full, technocolor detail
when he balked and refused to enter school
and then kicked his teacher and ran away.
Around the corner.
Down the sidewalk.  
Across the street, and down the block.
A teacher ran with me, and eventually the principal joined us.
He continued kicking and screaming while we dragged him back to school.
He screamed "NO NO NO!" as we forced him to go into the school.
We dragged him up to her office
and he Tore It Up.
Threw down the chairs.
Pushed the table around.
Banged the chair repeatedly into the door
and
chipped the paint.

was
mortified.

The principal asked if he was like that at home.
I saw the look in her eyes.
"Is he Emotionally Disturbed?" it said.
I replied, "no, he's just very stubborn and very mad."
The principal, while sweet enough, seemed a little flustered.
She threatened to call the police if he ran across the street again.
My boy was scared and sad by that
but he didn't back down.
He refused to cry.
"Go ahead," he said.  "Call the police.
I don't care!"

I left when the social worker came in and took over.
I said I had to go to work,
which was true,
but I also had to get out of there before I started crying.

It's a hell of a thing, watching your child have a complete meltdown like that.

I got to work, 
muttered something like, "sorry I'm late, no I'm not ok, have to go now"
and I ran down the hall to my office.
Shut the door.
Called my husband.
And burst into tears.

The social worker and my husband both responded great.
Three settled down after I left, 
played a game of Uno with the social worker, 
and joined his class, where he had a great day.

We have a plan in place for tomorrow.
Three has promised me he will not do that again.

I have a sinus headache from a cold.
I am emotionally wiped out.
I am heading to bed 
and I am thankful this day is over.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Teresa. I'm sorry. :( I have a story remarkably similar to this one that I will try to tell soon. Children can be so mortifying, can't they? I guess you don't sound mortified but I was. And sad for him but mine was JAMES and I was mortified. :) I hope tomorrow goes 100% better and that you get lots of rest. big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. I'm glad you got support at school--hugs and prayers for you, sweetie. That had to have been awful.

    ReplyDelete