Wednesday, April 6, 2011

on a scale of 1 - 10, today started as a negative 39455 but ended as a 2

oh boy, a stressful last 24 hours around here.

We were on pins-n-needles about our spring elections.  Still are, actually.  Our gal Kloppenberg is up by (last I counted) 200 votes (over 1 million cast) for state supreme court judge.  There is a recount in the works.  Let's hope she stays on top.  Never has "every vote counts" been so meaningful.

While laying in bed, watching the returns come in, I received a phone call from another dad at Two's school.  I'd rather not get into the details, but Two made some very bad choices in behavior yesterday afterschool with another neighbor boy.  The word bully was mentioned, and, honestly, it was used correctly.  Bob and I had an emotional exchange about what to do about it.  Two heard us talking and stumbled into our bedroom, late, accepting his punishment.  The morning came and I found out about even more bad choices he made, which cause me to cry in frustration, which caused him to cry also.  All in all, not one of our greatest moments chez mooncrawl.

I emailed the teacher to tell her what had happened.  I called the principal also.  I asked to attend a meeting with the victim's father and principal at school.  My boy will not be a bully.  I simply will not allow this to happen.

We have imposed strict consequences at home, and there will be more coming tomorrow at school.  I am embarrassed, humiliated, frustrated.

Two acted the best he could all day after school.  He was helpful and generous with his brothers.  He accepted his grounding punishment without fuss.  He acknowledged that his freedoms are severely limited (i.e.  gone) and his ability to play with the other bully is over.  He wrote a sweet letter of apology to the victim, using his best hand writing (and he included that tidbit in the note: "I am using my best hand riting.")  He knows more punishment is coming tomorrow and he seems to be accepting it gracefully.  I gave him a big hug tonight at bedtime and told him how proud I was of the choices he's made today, and I expect them to continue tomorrow.  "forever, mom," he responded.  I'll take that too.

This parenting gig is hard work.  It's scary and frustrating, and sometimes?  Sometimes I just want to quit.  But I can't.  "Dig deep" Bob told me once during a fight we were having.  "Dig deep and remember why you love me."  It's good advice.  I've had to dig deep for strength lately, especially today.

3 comments:

  1. Oh. honey. Cyber hugs your way. That's tough stuff. But your intervention now will mold him for the rest of his life--so what a great time for him to act badly, right? In the big scheme of things...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a parent is not always easy, being a GOOD parent never is. Keep on doing what you are doing, both you and Robert. Years from now the rewards will come, and so will constipation, aches, pains, and selective memory loss! It will be worth what you are going through now when those boys make you proud to be their parents. Bob made my hiney pucker up a few times, but look how he turned out!. Donna loved him so, and the boys too. And, T, she never left you out either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this. I loved "dig deep." What a great piece of advice. It sounds like Two absolutely knew what he did was wrong and felt remorseful. You can be so proud of him for that amidst whatever bad thing happened. I hope things have settled down and you guys enjoyed the weekend together.

    ReplyDelete