Tuesday, November 30, 2010

still aswirl

Things feel a little unsettled around here.  I'm almost totally unpacked after our trip, but that's a chore that has un-centered me.  I am fresh off of some family/christmas drama.  It's all resolved but it took a bit out of me.  And, mostly of all, I did something today that I haven't done since September 1992.  I started a new job.


I went in for 3 hours this morning for my part-time, temporary gig as a social worker at a local mental health agency.  This agency offers counseling services -- which is different than my former employer (doing child protection for the county) -- but the essence of the duties are similar.  Meet with folks in challenging situations.  Gather social histories, briefly assess the situation, and send them on their way to the appropriate service within the agency.  I'm excited but a bit unnerved and overwhelmed at it all.  As I told my friend this morning, I had the realization that I could meet with an individual who may later commit suicide.  What if I don't do my job correctly and they don't get the services they need?  She kindly reminded me I've worked in challenging and stressful situations before, and I can figure it out.  Let's hope so.


But it all went very smoothly this morning - the transition to this new life.  Three resumed his speech phenology preschool program this morning (perfect timing), and he was excited about the "school bus" (really, a minivan driven by a middle aged guy) taking him and bringing him home.  I got One to the bus, Two off to his school, and Three in his van all with a few minutes to spare before work.  Work... Feels strange, but good, to say.


I think I underestimated the dress code.  I dressed fine today (khakis and a sweater), but it looked like people tend to dress pretty nice.  I'm inclined to do a little shopping.  Maybe Santa will bring me a couple of skirts.


Ahh, the perils of starting a new job after being unemployed for (gulp) 10 years.  


Brrr, cold and grey the last couple of days.  Hasn't really inspired me to do much around the house, but I should.  Every room needs about 20 minutes of attention.  Know what I mean?  It's not a disaster, but it's a drag to have every room look disorganized - especially when that's what I feel on the inside.  Aha!  That's probably a DSM IV diagnosis I should bone up on!


Our trip to Baltimore and NYC was beyond great, but you'll have to wait for the stories and pictures.  In re-reading the above paragraph I have a burst of energy to tackle some of the chaos.  So I'm off!

3 comments:

  1. love that word "aswirl." very good. Not the feeling so much though, eh? Congrats on your new job...I meant to say that a while back. I'm guessing that after 10 years there will be a bit of a transition but GOOD FOR YOU. :) New skirts sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck, my friend!! Good for you, carving out a spot to be a slightly different You. The benefits for everyone will far outweigh the blips of slightly-dusty-rooms that may ensue. Enjoy! Also, a good skirt can change your world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck--just the thought of dressing for a job every day is enough to make me crawl back under my covers. I applaud you for taking a leap and going out of your comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete