Friday, November 19, 2010

the fog is clearing

It has been a whirlwind past couple of days.  Let's review.


Yesterday, I picked up several hundred pounds of beef from the butcher.  I had arranged to buy a side of beef from a friend of a friend.  This farmer raises cattle humanely and they are pasture fed, and I was happy to stock us up on beef.  And we are stocked up!  It's a good thing we have two (yes, two) chest freezers, because we are using every last little cubic inch of space in them.  Let's hope we don't lose electricity anytime soon.


While loading said beef into the freezer, the phone rang.  I figured it was my friend Theresa calling before her visit, but it was a friend (sort of) calling to offer me a job.  A very good job -- one in my field (social work), doing something I'm interested in, part time and very nearby my home.  At this point it's hourly and temporary -- she needs someone to fill in quickly until they can officially post for the job and get a permanent hire for it.  I quickly thought of the cons (where will Three go while I work?????), figured I'd figure it out, and said, "Yes!  Thanks!"


And that's where the whirlwind began.  Have you ever tried to figure out childcare for your children after never having to figure that out before?  I know many (most) parents have, but I had underestimated the confusion and mess - not to mention expense.  I'll spare you the details, but I think I have finally figured it out pretty well by now.  


If that's not enough, I've been busy readying my family for our roadtrip.  We set out tomorrow for the east - first to Canton, OH to the NFL hall of fame (on One's 10th birthday, no less), then to Baltimore for a couple of days to see my bro and sis-in-law, and then to NYC to stay with my cousin's girlfriend for 4 nights (My cousin, unfortunately for us, is in Brazil presently).  I've been packing and preparing and getting an I-Pass and Trip Tick and Ipods loaded with games and videos.  The boys each have their carry-on bags packed with books and a clipboard and papers and even whiteboards and markers.  I picked up a couple of "playaway" books from the library and a book on cd for the radio.  10-day food pellets have been bought for the fish, and the dog is all scheduled for the kennel.  I never realized my mom worked so hard before we went on vacation.  


In the middle of all of this chaos, I've had a handful of sweet reminders about how blessed I am with the people in my life.  Two very generous and kind friends offered to help out with bits of childcare here and there.  Another friend called and said, "this just confirms it.  Good things DO happen to good people.  I'm so glad you got this job!"  My parents have totally stepped up and genuinely offered to seriously help with childcare -- something they have never offered before (not that I've had to ask).   Not to mention the phone call - a bit out of the blue - from this (sort of) friend offering me this job!  


The bags are packed.  The beef is all put away.  My social security card has been located.  The ipods are charging.  The childcare plans feel manageable and comfortable.  


The fog is lifting.


I have many thanks during this Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

  1. Atta girl! Congratulations to you on the job. I'm thinking God's hand will work out the details in perfect timing.

    ReplyDelete