Monday, April 19, 2010

week review

  • Funeral and post-funeral stuff from last week was very, very nice, actually. As with any family event, there is the possibility of drama, but it was almost completely drama-free, and, most importantly, a very sweet tribute to Uncle Gary.
  • Gary left Bobby (what most of his relatives still call him, which I find totally adorable) all of his cookbooks. I'm talking like 12 boxes of them - probably over 100 in all. We found out at the funeral that, next to his bible, his cookbooks were his most prized possessions. In yet another example of how you don't always realize how important you are to someone until it's too late, when I was sorting through the books over the weekend, I found Gary's high school yearbook. I opened it up, and Bob and my * wedding announcement from the newspaper was cut out and placed in there. Finding that made me cry, and now thinking about it, I'm getting all choked up. Certainly, I feel some guilt for not making more time for Gary in recent years, especially since having kids.
  • Part of this week's business is to continue to sort through these cookbooks. Anyone need anything? We probably have it now, perhaps in several versions. Gary was apparently very fond of Rachel Ray and other food network stars. I'm serious. Let me know. We can't absorb 100 more cookbooks into our household, and there's some good stuff here.
  • Gary also had a camcorder that it looks like he bought back in 1993. One received this (as well as a bunch of Packers' memorabilia, which all of the kids are thrilled with), but it appears that the battery for the camcorder no longer works. I doubt they even sell batteries for it anymore. Any ideas of what to do with this? The camera is in pristine condition (in fact, I doubt it was ever used). But, back to my story, so this prompted me to get out OUR camcorder, which has been used very, very sporadically and unpredictably in our children's lives. As I was excitingly looking at some of the videos on the small screen, I decided we needed to have a family movie night to watch these. I realized that I could not find the cord that connected the camcorder to the tv. Looked and looked and searched (and swore) and looked some more. I called Radio Shack, and they said they sold cords like that for $30. I was resigned to spending that, but I quickly called American TV (where we bought it 8 or 9 years ago) to see if they sold replacements. Chris, the manager there, said, "c'mon on in. I have an extra one in the drawer that we aren't using. I'll just give it to you for free." And I did, and it works! This, along with the amazing service to my broken refrigerator last month, makes me a big fan of American TV. Yeah for them!
  • I've been trying slow cooker recipes and haven't had much success. I am not deterred and am trying another one today (chicken stew with apples, potatoes and carrots). My hands smell now of nutmeg, lemon juice and cayenne pepper. I have hope that today's recipe is better than Saturday's debacle (advice - don't try steak in a slow cooker - yuck!).
  • We have had lots of campfires in the front yard lately. Kids love it and want one every night. I'm sure the s'mores have something to do with their requests.
  • I ran today, against the advice of my PT. Just about 1/2 mile on the walk home from school, but darn it! I wanted to run a little and test out the knee! If I let pain be my guide, I probably shouldn't run yet for a while. ouch.
  • Speaking of PT, One got released from PT for his shoulder (!!!) and has full approval to resume regular life - JUST IN TIME for flag football, which started on Saturday. We have a very happy boy around here.
  • Two is participating in a wrestling clinic at one of the high schools and he loves it. We also got report cards a week or so ago and he is reading AT grade level! Yippee and Hooray for him!!!!!!
  • In the spirit of equal air time, Three is just as cute and exuberant as ever. He's been very kissy and huggy today, which I'll take. So far, four has been a lovely age.
  • I think our birthday party run is finally over. We have had at least one, if not multiple, birthday parties on our calendar every weekend since mid-February (except for Easter weekend). Takes a bit of a toll on the birthday gift budget, so I'm glad to get a break.
  • Off now to make some cinnamon bread (Gary had the King Arthur flour Whole Grains cookbook, so I'm having fun using more wheat flour).
  • Hope you have a great day!

* If I were on The Bachelor On The Wings of Love (or whatever that dreck is called), I would probably say "Bob and I's announcement". I can grit my teeth through the "me and so-and-so" errors, but what is up with "So-and-so and I's such-and-such"? ***Shudder***

2 comments:

  1. I wish we lived closer together, I would love to peruse your new collection! Happy to hear the about low-drama family gathering.
    As for the old camcorder, they sell all sorts of adapters these days. Take it with you to American and I bet they could 'hook you up'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to read the good news on the kid front. And I'm glad the funeral went well. How nice to discover he kept your wedding announcement for all that time!
    Mind your knee--you listen to your knee and I'll listen to my pneumonia-filled lungs, okay?

    ReplyDelete