Tuesday, February 9, 2010

love my library

I missed my book club this past weekend because of this pesky little sickness I'm dealing with. I'm bummed, because the book we read was so provocative. I judge a book by being good if I think about it a lot when I'm not reading it. This book has me thinking AND talking about it (with people who haven't read it - which is rather unfulfilling). I'm happy that I'll see some bookclub friends out on Friday night, so I'll be able to process it a bit then. Anyway, the book is called The White Tiger, and I highly recommend it, but only if you find someone else who has read it or knows about India (where it is set) because I'm telling you! You'll want to talk about this one! (and remember - there's always me!)

I picked up this book on a shelf at the library a couple of weeks ago. It's a YA (young adult) book, but certainly interesting for not so YA's, like me. It's about sexual slavery, and it takes also in India. It's a quick read but worthwhile.

And remember that little parenting issue we've been dealing with chez mooncrawl? I've decided to give this book a whirl. I got the idea from an Esquire magazine article about, of all things, President Obama (the journalist compared Obama's management style to the same one he learned about in a positive discipline parenting workshop). Anyway, I have a DVD on order and just picked up the book yesterday. I'm hopeful.

3 comments:

  1. Teresa, I hope you enjoy the Positive Discipline book. Let me know if you have any questions. :-) Jane Nelsen, co-author of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got an author comment?! Awesome. :) Thanks for the recommendations. We have such an excellent library system here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie - I Know! Very awesome!

    Dr. Jane - I just may take you up on that. I have much more reading to do, but so far, so good. I like the kind, compassionate, natural consequences, fewer words philosophy (though I struggle with the fewer words piece). I'm starting to think about our first family meeting. Wish us luck!

    ReplyDelete