Monday, December 14, 2009

boring, and loving it

  • Finn recently asked me who the first person was in the world. I totally dig discussions like this -- not because I am even close to having an answer, much less an answer to satisfy a 6 year old, but because it's fun to explore such huge topics with my kids and hear what their thinking is. Anyway, I did a little creationism vs. evolutionism bit, and, in the process, while discussing God, I called her a she. Because, it's always bothered me that, if we are to assign a gender to God, why do we give maleness to her? When I made this shift personally a few years ago, I felt like I could wrap my mind around God a lot more. I'm sort of more into disorganized religion than organized religion -- hey! I just made that up, but it kind of works! But, back to the story at hand, when Finn was later talking about it all, he very matter-of-factly referred to God as a she. This may be offensive to some, but I loved it.
  • We have been baking cookies for christmas. I have some safely tucked away in the freezer, but I decided to live life on the edge last night and allow the family to eat some of the cut-out cookies we made last night.
  • During last week's snowstorm, in between shoveling and baking cookies, I made a double batch of praline syrup and canned it. This syrup is yummy on ice cream. I'm thinking about giving it to the kids' teachers as a present -- maybe that and a bar of homemade soap.
  • We've been watching a lot of movies lately. Tis the season to "get cozy" under blankets and watch movies together! The kids have thoroughly enjoyed Home Alone and Home Alone 2 - both thanks to the library. On Netflix, Bob and I watched Donnie Brasco. Nothing like a NYC mobster flick to bring a couple together. I also watched Funny People the other night after Bob fell asleep. It's not the best movie I've ever seen, that's for sure, but something about it has hung with me. I like that feeling.
  • I started knitting. I knitted a scarf for Enzo this past weekend. It's full of mistakes and it's probably too bulky for him to ever wear comfortably, but I'm pleased with it. I'm working on a scarf for Finn now. Alex's scarf is next. Wow, we're a big scarf family, you are probably thinking. Nope, not at all, but I'm really enjoying the process. Perhaps I'll post pictures soon.
  • And, in reviewing this post, I'm reminded at how completely boring and normal my life is. Baking. Knitting. Canning. Kids' movies. I am so lucky and blessed to have such banality.

No comments:

Post a Comment