Tuesday, August 16, 2011

from birthdays to bald heads

Hey friends!
Mid-August already and summer keeps a chug-chugging along.
We are eagerly anticipating our vacation next week.
We had a wonderful visit with Grandpa John over the weekend where I'm pretty sure we solved all of the world's problems (now if people would only listen to us).
We had our second cousin-visit last week - this time the 2 youngest stayed for 3 nights.
One has started football (again) and is feeling a bit anxious about it (again)
but we came up with a strategy that seems to be working (fingers crossed).

Let's take a picture journey though our last few days...

My Two celebrated his 8th b'day this week.
Loyal fans of Crawling To The Moon may remember that last year,
How fun.
How expensive.
This year, we toned it down to a sleepover party with 4 extra kids
(2 cousins and 2 friends)
plus the nanny took the gang to Laser Tag during the day.
And you know what?
That sweet boy of mine (who can also be pretty salty at times) didn't seem to care that this year's celebration was much quieter and less extravagant. 
Anyhow, here is his homemade lemon cake.
Because Two loves him some lemons.

the fedora was one of his presents
The next day, we went to the Wisconsin State Fair.
What a fun and exhausting day.
So glad it only comes once a year.
Fortunately, we went on an 80 degree day (instead of 90's as it was the week before)
because 80 degrees with thousands of other people on a concrete pad with no shade is
hot
enough.
We splurged and bought the ride wristbands for the kids.
They had such a sense of freedom.
It was fantastic.
Until their cousin, who joined us, got sick from the rides.
We shuttled the cousins back to their mom and continued on at the fair
until the storm clouds started blowing in
(which I noticed when high on a ride because I still love the rides too).
We ate at Saz's Restaurant and had a great meal.
We stayed at a hotel with a mini waterpark which was unexpected and fun.
All in all, a nice little trip.
And here is my one photo to document it all
(other than some blurry shots of Thrillseeker Two on every.ride.there):

notice how it says "educational" on the bottom?  almost worth the $1 admission out of curiosity!
Yesterday, we went with a group of friends to a nearby favorite summertime spot:
(Stephanie - we parked on Branch Street and entered, going northbound, at Century Ave)
It's a great spot to go and wander, especially if you want to cool off.  
We packed a picnic.
Some of the children behaved poorer than others
and for once?
Those ill-behaving children weren't my children.
I tried to get the kids to line up on the rocks, but that didn't quite work:


These two, however, posed like a couple of starlets:


I love these girls
and so does Three.
His biggest dilemma yesterday afternoon was which one to chose as his girlfriend.
Two told him to just pick both,
"that way you've hit the jackpot!"

I tried to capture another possible Christmas card photo, 
and this is what I got:



See?  THIS is why I have to start in the summer.

And lastly, Three has been not happy with his hair.
He has lovely, curly hair (especially in the back).
He gets compliments on it all the time.
But he doesn't like it.
He wants it straight.
Every day, he spends a lot of time combing it, asking,
"mom, is my hair flat?"
He has been begging for a haircut.
He's even been cutting it himself here and there.
I'll find locks of his hair on the floor in the bathroom.
So, I asked him yesterday.
"Do you want me to shave your head?"
"Yes mom!" he responded.
And so I did.
Are you ready?

Here he is, pre-haircut:


And here he is, post:


Shocking, isn't it.
He looks a little cancer-victimish.
Bob is NOT happy.
I was told to consult with him next time I do something so drastic.
I keep saying, "it's Three's hair, he gets to decide"
but I sort of privately agree.
It's not so good.
I keep thinking that it brings out his beautiful eyes.
But I miss that curly hair.

So
how about you?
Have you ever been tempted to see a freakshow at a fair?
Have you ever changed your child's hairstyle to the displeasure of the other parent?



2 comments:

  1. Comments: lemon cake looks good--save us a piece or bake another cake; Aisha and Enzo can discuss the virtues of short hair...and LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to visit the conservatory. It looks like a place we'd love. thanks for the info. Happy Belated birthday to 2 and I wish I had some of that lemon cake. :) 3 is just so freaking cute, hair or no. Please tell him not to take Ruby out of the girlfriend running. ;)

    ReplyDelete