Tuesday, May 4, 2010

words AND pictures!

Gee, how is it May already?

Took Dash to the vet today for annual check-up/vax. She taught me how to brush his teeth. Uhhh, right. It's all I can do to make sure my kids and I have brushed teeth. She was cool about it and confessed she doesn't brush her dog's teeth either. Which, in turn, does not inspire me to try to brush MY dog's teeth. Funny how that works.

We went to my nephew's first communion on Sunday. Tis the season -- seems like everyone went to first communions last weekend. The girls were dressed as little child-brides (complete with veils) which pretty much creeped me out, but maybe that's just me. My kids were all wide-eyed at the sights in church (life-sized Jesus nailed to the cross!) and listened to grandma's explanation (and then later confided that they will have nightmares now after hearing that story). Two asked me which god he is the son of. I chuckled, and he said, "you know, Poseiden? Zeus? Which one??!!" (this is thanks to the Lightening Thief series his big brother just finished reading) I admit I had trouble explaining that THOSE gods were not real, but the god they were talking about in church IS real, at least to the people in that building. "But I believe in the Greek gods, mom!" he responded. I didn't have the energy to continue the conversation. Mark, I'm still waiting for your help in this matter... Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Swim lessons yesterday went as predicted -- lots and lots of refusing (yelling, running away, clinging onto the doorway) by Three, but once in the water, he calmed down quickly and seemed to truly enjoy it. Two hopped right in and did his thing. I think he, in particular, is going to make some nice gains after this class. Deep end swimming, here he comes!
***
Just got back from speech for Three/volunteering in Two's class, and the teacher (happily) announced that there is only about a month left in school. The other parent volunteer and I looked at each other with a bit of panic. We have good things in the works this summer (Goodman Pool, tennis lessons, wrestling camp, football camp, Door County vacation (!!), a bit of camping) plus I have some ideas for field trips in the back of my head (jelly belly factory in Milwaukee, Milwaukee Co Zoo, Devils Lake and other nearby state parks, long bike rides around Madison). But I am a bit concerned about every day downtime and the bickering/arguing/fighting that can/will occur between the boys. I need to come up with a plan. Any suggestions?

I didn't use my car last week from Monday afternoon until Thursday evening. It's handy to live near enough to school, the library, the Memorial Union, the grocery store to bike or walk everywhere.

Speaking of the Memorial Union, Three and I met our little buddies there for a picnic last week. It was a sunny but breezy day. Three and his friends were dangling sticks in the water. I warned him about the water temps and to be careful. You can probably guess where this is going. Next thing I noticed, Three was quickly scampering out of the lake, head to toe wet.




I had a very small kitchen towel in my lunch bag. My friend had a beach towel in her burley, which I wrapped around him, but really, the sun did most of the drying work. He proudly told every he saw for the rest of the day "I fell in the LAKE!"

Saturday, both older boys had football. Two's team is in a rebuilding season, I would say. They were totally outplayed by the opposing team. It was fun to watch, and no one seemed too upset by it all. Here he is, playing center:


And this is the machine that is One's team:

Might not look like much, but these kids are amazing together. They have been together for 4 years now (One has been on the team for the last 3) and it is so fun to watch them play. I have privately struggled a little with the coaches, but I'm glad we followed Bob's suggestion and stayed the course. The head coach is a little more intense than I would like, but, as Bob has maintained, it is a great experience for our kids to be exposed to all types. And his tactics have worked. These kids play great together, have a great time, and are very, very successful.

Lately, I will leave you with a cute snapshot of Three and two of his close buddies on a playdate at our house last week. Their moms (two of MY close buddies) and I chatted for hours in the kitchen while they amused themselves. After a while, they were very quiet, and this is what we found:



They were watching Scooby Doo. Three put the DVD in and got his friends all cozied up together under a blanket on his trampoline, while he, ever the gentleman, took the floor right next to them.

1 comment:

  1. Oh what fun! Your life is overflowing with good things these days!
    As for car travel: books on tape and gummy bears.

    ReplyDelete