Tuesday, May 11, 2010

mother's day

I feel like I have so much to say, and then nothing at all - all at the same time. Let's see where this post goes.

Mother's Day was very lovely and sweet. We decided to stick around the homestead and get some stuff done around here. Now that spring is here, we spend a lot of our time at our friends' farm (more on this later), which is so very great, but it means things around here just don't get done. So, Bob worked on completing the fence for the backyard for doggy Dash, and I weeded our flower gardens and planted tomato plants and one pepper plant in 5 gallon jugs.

I also bought a couple of hanging flower baskets - having just discovered two hooks that have been here the whole time we have lived here (coming up on five years already - can't believe THAT!). One of the hooks is in front of the house, and the other is on the corner of the shed in the side yard. I love that one, because I can see it when at my command post (the kitchen) but it otherwise goes unnoticed. Feels like my own private flowers, just for me.

We ended the day by cuddling under blankets on the couch, eating take-out chinese, and watching the finale to The Amazing Race.

So, back to the farm... We are starting the third year of gardening there, and this past Saturday was my first day getting into the dirt. Bob and I moved a bean trellis and planted pole beans. B+B already have planted onions, potatoes and salad greens. This coming weekend, we'll hopefully get some tomatoes and peppers and peas planted. We'll also eventually plant eggplant, corn, basil, pumpkins, cukes, winter squash. I will vote for planting popcorn instead of regular, eating corn. Our popcorn from a couple of years ago was soooo good, but I may be outvoted in that one. And then there are the annuals -- asparagus, rhubarb, raspberries, apples. And eggs from our chickens. Nothing beats farm eggs. The kids love to go into the coop and gather the eggs.

I am so thankful for these fabulous friends of ours -- inviting us to garden with them. It has taught all of us so much, about where our food comes from and how hard work has great pay-off. The kids and dog get to run free and explore, gathering confidence and experience in the woods that they just don't get with our city living. They bring friends out and are so proud to show off the farm - the hilltop, the tree swing, the chickens, the overgrown christmas tree farm. It's beautiful and peaceful and we are always happy and tired when we come home.

I planted the extra 4 plants here because I am greedy when it comes to the tomatoes. The last two years, I have gone to the farmers' market to buy seconds to can with, as I felt like I took (probably more than) my share from our garden. So, for a little bit of effort, hopefully these plants will bloom and produce enough extra tomatoes for a few more cans of sauce, chutney, etc.

******************************

Swim lessons yesterday were a breeze. Three repeated to himself, "I'm NOT going to cry, I'm NOT going to cry" and sure enough, he didn't! He asked me to walk him to the edge of the pool with the teacher, but after a couple of steps, he turned and said, "I'm ok mom, I don't need you anymore." We happily waved to each other a couple of times during the class, and he proudly showed off what he learned afterwards. Now the problem is that he has a little too much confidence, saying, "I don't need help!" as he struggles to keep his head above water.

Two, as has been the case, jumped right into his lessons and got to work. For the first time, he didn't use a swim belt to help him float. He struggled a bit but was able to get back and forth the length of the pool several times during his 45 minute class. They also practiced diving. I'm just tickled that his swimming will be that much more improved before summer comes. I anticipate lots of time for him in the deep end.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for swim progress!
    And for farm friends! (We have some and my sons LOVE visiting and the chickens and seeing all the busy-busy-busy of farm life).
    I love the idea of your private window garden while you work. That image made me smile.

    ReplyDelete