Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Update

Still recovering from The Flu.  As in, influenza.  As in, yuck.  The doctor last week predicted it would last 7 days.  I'm on day 7 (or is it 8?) and, although I am getting better, I am not 100%.  Maybe 60%.  "I'm so sick of feeling sick," I keep muttering to myself.  And now I'm sick of talking/writing/thinking about being sick.

So, enough of that.

On Friday, my yard swelled to accomodate 3 more boys, for a grand total of 10.  It felt like so many more, as these 3 final were some high school neighborhood boys who joined in on the football game on their walk home from the bus stop.  What a thrill, to play with the high school boys!  As I watched them play together, I couldn't help but recall how I knew these kids when they were in kindergarten, first grade...  And now they are nearly driving age.  It all goes by so fast.

I do love my neighborhood so.  We are rich with boys.

Speaking of boys and football, Bob took the oldest two to the high school game on Friday night.  It was "Regent Night", which meant that all of the younger "Regent" kids, which Two is (and One used to be) attend the game with their jersey, go on the field for half time, and get a free hotdog afterwards.  I was holding court at home with Three (see first paragraph), and we had a very sweet little night filled with baths and hot showers and reading books and early bedtime.  Anyhow, the report from the gridiron was that it was fun.  And cold.  Bob rarely saw the kids, as they got absorbed into the crowd once they entered the stadium.

You may think that may be the end of my football stories for this post, but oh no.  Not even close.  We are in football mode nearly round-the-clock around here.  Two and his team played their 3rd game of the season.  They are (drumroll please) oh for three so far this season.  But who cares!  They are the little team that could - or, at least, one day they will be.  They are making great strides with each game.  The coach is awesome and positive and encouraging, and he is very pleased with their progress.

Every team they have played has had double the number of players on it, which makes a huge difference.  Most of the kids, mine included, play in every single play of the game, while these other teams can substitute out completely different groups for offense/defense.  Our boys, mine included, are pretty wiped out at the end of each game.  Doesn't help that Two gets so nervous before the game that he doesn't want to eat.

Here are some random pictures:


Two turned 9 in August.  He had a sweet little party with 5 other boys.  We went to the Goodman Pool.  They played football and capture the flag and kick the can.  We ordered our last cake from Lane's Bakery.  And then they slept over (and actually slept!).



Picnic Point - end of August


Visit to the State Capital - end of August


OK, Football - as promised  Here is my Two, injured.  This has happened to him at least in every game.  I think it is partly nerves (he is the main ball carrier, so he has a lot of his shoulders) and partly being exhausted (he is the main ball carrier, so he runs a lot).  Usually, he is down because he got tackled hard and got the wind knocked out of him.  He always gets up and gets back into the game after sitting out for a rotation.


Here he is, tackled after a looooooong run last week.


Number 20, in on the tackle.  


Another run!


I don't want to be that parent but it is really cool, I will admit, hearing other random spectators calling out my son's name, cheering him on during (another) long run.


Not Two, but his BFF, who is the other main ball carrier, getting his first TD.


He had a really good game that week.


There's the team.  


Great bunch of kids.




He's not afraid to push through the defense to get extra yards.



 Yes, I still do have two other boys.  One is saving himself for after school opportunities (that appear to be aplenty in middle school), as well as basketball (try-outs are next month).  Three is playing soccer again, which is super cute and fun in a very this-is-not-tackle-football way.

I am facing a big week.  I have a 2 day training for my extra job, which I am looking forward to, but it means that I will be working longer to get my regular hours in on my regular job.  Working 40 hours this week.  I am thankful that this is the exception, not the norm.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're starting to feel better--the flu is SO draining.
    Football season is fun--how cool to have a player! Happy birthday to your cutie-pie.

    ReplyDelete