Monday, July 25, 2011

summer weekend

We had a fun weekend, chez mooncrawl.  Friday started with us going to Dick's to get 2 2-person rafts.  They are 50% off - so only $15 apiece.  We gathered our favorite neighborhood boys and headed over to Bernies, our neighborhood beach.
Boys on the Bay

After sufficiently getting our fill of lake water fun, we went to the Goodman Pool for their first ever "float-in" movie night.  They opened the doors after 8 pm (which is normal closing time - which, years ago, with littler kids was perfect.  Now?  It's not open nearly late enough for us) and, for a small fee, invited anyone in who wanted to float in the pool on a floatie and watch Despicable Me.  The sky got dark.  The lifeguards looked cranky.  The snack bar was open.  We swam and floated and chatted with neighbors.  It was a lovely night.  

Saturday, I was surprised by a fun phone call from my bro and his wife in Palestine.  Have you read his blog yet?  You should.  Now.  Stop reading this drivel and go there.

Back already?  Alrighty, I'll continue on.  The next night, we went to a barn dance, hosted by our friends/neighbors who have been living abroad for the past 4 years (2 in Dubai and 2 in China).  Two decided to get ready for the barn dance by getting a mohawk.

what you looking at?
I wish I would have taken pictures of the night.  It was so. much. fun.  I am not kidding.  There was a potluck full of great food.  The barn, which is where auctions are normally held, was delightful and quirky.  A little ragtag band of old timers played folk and square dance-type music, and we were all directed in how to dance.  Bob jumped in right away - to my surprise and pleasure.  I felt a little self-counscious but soon enough joined too.  The boys were much more reluctant, but after some good parental guidance (bribing with the promise of a sleepover that night with the friend we dragged along), we all danced.  Bob and I even waltzed for one song and didn't do too badly.  We left just as the professional band was going to start, which was before Bob and I were quite ready.  But the boys were being such good sports, we wanted to leave on a good note. 

So, after the sleepover on Saturday night, we s-l-o-w-l-y got up and faced Sunday.  After lounging for quite a bit, we finally pulled ourselves together to head out to Governor Dodge State Park.  We brought one of the boats and a floatie and enjoyed the (relatively) clean and warm lake.  Good family fun.


Add caption

After swimming, we worked up quite an appetite.  We ate at an old fashioned A&W drive-in.  I thought the kids would get a kick out of it, but they were too hungry and cranky to really appreciate the blast from the past.  I was able to catch Three in a rare moment of good cheer:

can I take your order please?
And that was that!  Weekend over!  Chalk a good one up in the books!  (is that even a saying?)

I'm off to my busiest week of the summer.  We are being pulled in many different directions this week, but it's all good stuff, so I'm looking forward to it.  Two has a week-long camp at the humane society which he is tickled about.  It feels like a bit of a splurge, with paying for the nanny and all, but my boy will totally love it.  One has football camp every afternoon this week (from 4-6 pm - really?  what a sucky time).  Three has t-ball and a little school rec dept class he's been taking.  One and Two have rugby two nights this week.  On Friday, we will head over to the Lands End sale (local people - if you don't go to this, you are missing out!).  On Saturday, I will collapse in exhaustion...

...like my boy below.  I couldn't resist an extra shot of a supercute car sleeper.  


Have a great week everyone!







2 comments:

  1. What fun! Especially the "float in movie." That sounds so cool. Glad a fine time was had by all--and I do like your new header!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout-out and recommendation to my blog. (Although now I have to try to make it a worthwhile read...) Hope your busy week is also fun. Much love from Ramallah...

    ReplyDelete